The thermostat in your vehicle has a very important job when it comes to the engine. It helps to regulate the flow of coolant that circulates through the engine to keep it lubricated and protected from excessive heat. The thermostat must open and close at the correct time in order for the engine to remain at the proper working temperature while driving. If the thermostat fails, coolant won't circulate through the engine and the engine will be at risk for overheating and damage.
If your thermostat is bad or failing, you may notice one or more of the following symptoms:
- Engine temperature gauge is reading high
- Engine temperature warning light is on
- Check engine light is on
- Engine temperature gauge is extremely low, meaning your engine is under heated which can occur when the thermostat is stuck open
- The temperature of the engine is changing erratically
- Coolant is leaking around the thermostat or underneath your vehicle
If you notice any of the symptoms listed above, it is important to bring your vehicle into ABR Houston as soon as possible. Driving with a bad thermostat can cause irreversible damage to the engine and cost you a lot on major repairs. We want to address the issue quickly to keep the damage to a minimum and ensure that your engine runs smoothly when it leaves our shop.